BeaverTails and Red Roses

Hello and welcome to Weekend Coffee Share #6! I’m glad you’re here. Please come on in, help yourself to a cup of coffee, or tea, or hot chocolate at my coffee station and let’s chat.

This is a long weekend of celebrations here: Lunar New Year’s Day, the year of the Ox, on February 12, Valentine’s Day on February 14, and Family Day on February 15. I have a sweet treat and rosy or red images to share.

1. BeaverTails

Have you ever had a beavertail? I ate my first delicious beavertail in Ottawa, the capital of Canada, a long time ago. No, not the tail of a beaver. I’m talking about Canadian pastries, called Beavertails or Queues de Castor in French. They are fried dough pastries, individually hand stretched to resemble beaver’s tails, topped with either sweet or savoury ingredients.

One of the BeaverTails stores is located in Pier 6 building, the oldest building in Toronto’s Harbourfront area. I think its red exterior and doors are suitable entry to the Thursday Doors and Sunday Stills photography challenges this week.

Pier 6 building entrance.

The glass panes of the front door are half covered with BeaverTails menu, notices of store opening hours, and covid-19 protocols. The plaque on the right of Pier 6 building explains its architecture and history since 1907.

Pier 6 plaque.

I like how an ordinary storage shed, on the left side of Pier 6 building, is transformed into something eye-catching with a coat of red paint and a few Canadian symbols: Moose antlers, beavers, a heart, oars, rolling pins, apples, evergreen trees, and leaves.

The back of Pier 6 building is mostly glass doors and windows. They are open in nice weather and are glass for a good reason.

Pier 6 back doors and windows.

The reason is this view of the Toronto Harbour and the boats that dock along the pier. In a few weeks, boat crews will start cleaning up and getting their boats ready for boat tour customers.

The boats will be in pristine conditions, especially their doors and windows, so passengers can have a good view of Toronto from the water. Rentals of bigger boats are also available for special events.

Views from Pier 6.

If you haven’t had a BeaverTails pastry, I recommend to try it at least once. I have no affiliation with the company. Currently, there are eleven BeaverTails choices. They’re big and inexpensive treats, perfect for sharing with your Valentine.

Plus for about US$5, you can claim that you’ve had a Canadian BeaverTails pastry, like this fun fact about President Obama’s visit, and tick off this item on your bucket list.

2. Red Roses

Terri’s Sunday Stills Rosy Red prompt also reminded me of my visit to a rose plantation in Ecuador before the pandemic. Although roses are not native to Ecuador, the country has a perfect environment for rose cultivation and is one of the world’s major producers. Here’s a small sample of about 500 rose varieties in Ecuador:

Roses ready for shipment from Ecuador.

Ecuadorian roses have long stems with perfect petals. They come in so many colours and names that it would be hard to choose which to buy. Take a look at this exquisite arrangement of real red roses or a single rosy red rose. Both say Happy Valentine’s Day loud and clear.

Red Ecuadorian roses.
Pink Ecuadorian rose.

All flowers are shared on Cee’s Flower of The Day.

3. Finding Calm

My guest post 21 Quick Ideas To Find Calm went live on Min’s Write of the Middle blog in Australia on Monday February 8. Give yourself the gift of health by finding calm and taking care of yourself everyday. I hope you find at least one of my 21 quick ideas useful. Have a great weekend!

I’d love to hear your comments.

Linking with Life This Week, The Weekly Smile.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Copyright © 2021 natalietheexplorer.home.blog – All rights reserved.

140 thoughts on “BeaverTails and Red Roses

1. kirstin troyer February 14, 2021 / 1:56 pm

Joined in to the weekend coffee share. What fun. Can’t wait to visit some of the others.

• Natalie February 14, 2021 / 2:38 pm

That’s great, Kirstin. Lots of blogs to visit and introduce yourself.

2. Suzanne@PictureRetirement February 14, 2021 / 4:32 pm

Hi Natalie, thanks for the introduction to BeaverTails. Who knew? It definitely sounds like something I would like. I am not a fan of red roses, but with all of those beautiful colors, why be ordinary. I am looking forward to reading all the Coffee Share entries this week. Happy Valentine’s Day.

• Natalie February 14, 2021 / 5:57 pm

Suzanne, The freshly-baked beavertails are very good and each is big enough that you and Malcolm can share. The rose plantation in Ecuador has many rose varieties and colours. I’m sure there is a rose for everyone’s preference. Ive read about half of the Coffee Share entries this weekend and will continue to the last one. Happy Valentine’s Day!

• Suzanne@PictureRetirement February 14, 2021 / 5:59 pm

Natalie, I am slowly working my way through them. I like to give myself something to look forward to for a couple of days. 🙂

• Natalie February 14, 2021 / 6:06 pm

Suzanne, I started on Friday 🙂 I like the diverse contents in the link-up.

3. Jo February 14, 2021 / 5:01 pm

Phew re the beaver tail, but I would love a pic of one (hint hint). I adore that painted red door… Happy Valentine’s Day.

• Natalie February 14, 2021 / 6:01 pm

Haha, Jo, maybe I should have had a different post title but then where’s the fun in that? If you click on the “eleven Beavertails choices” link below the boat photo in my post, it will take you to the BeaverTails store and menu with photos of their pastries. Their photos are better than my food photos. I thought the store was very creative to paint that door in their trademark red with the simple designs on it. Happy Valentine’s Day!

• Jo February 15, 2021 / 6:02 pm

Indeed, where is the fu in that?

4. Deborah Drucker February 14, 2021 / 5:37 pm

I am glad you explained the beaver tail is a pastry. 😉 Weekend Coffee sounds good.

• Natalie February 14, 2021 / 6:03 pm

Thank you, Deborah, for your visit and comment. May I ask how you found my blog? I host the weekly Weekend Coffee Share link-up. Please feel free to check the Blog Links tab at the top of my blog for the guidelines. Everyone’s welcome to join any and every week. I hope you consider joining.

• Deborah Drucker February 14, 2021 / 11:13 pm

Hi Natalie. I read one of your other participants, Yinglan. I like her Weekend Coffee posts and noted a link to you. I will definitely consider posting.

• Natalie February 15, 2021 / 8:13 am

That’s great, Deborah. Thank you for letting me know.

5. Min Write of the Middle February 14, 2021 / 7:55 pm

Hi Natalie, I’m glad you cleared up what a beavertail was because I was thinking … “what, they eat Beaver Tails?!!”. Your pastry beavertails sound delicious and I am a pastry lover so I know I’d love them! BTW – those Ecuador roses are so beautiful – wow! Lovely to see you mention your guest post over on my blog again here. It’s been getting a lot of attention and is being helpful to so many. Thanks Natalie! xo

• Natalie February 14, 2021 / 8:21 pm

Haha, Min, I knew readers would first think “eww, she eats beaver tails?”. The pastries are good. They would be great to share with your Valentine’s. The Ecuadorian roses were incredible. I’m glad my guest post is getting a lot of attention and being helpful to readers. Thanks for linking with #WeekendCoffeeShare. Have a great week ahead!

6. msomerville2014 February 15, 2021 / 10:10 am

Hi Natalie, I couldn’t participate this weekend, but came back to do some reading and was well rewarded. I too was a little worried about Beavertails. Although my husband is a hunter, I do not have adventurous tastes. But I was intrigued, because I love Beavers. When I was in college I wrote a goofy poem titled ‘Castor Canadensis” Anyway, those beaver tails would not be on my current diet, but they look like they would be good and fun to make. The roses were beautiful. Trusting the Coffee Share was good. Will do a little more reading. I was going to wish you a good holiday, when I recovered myself and realized it’s a holiday here in the US because it is Presidents’ Day. Good for you for going without television, I am not that mature yet, but who knows? Maybe one day. Blessings, Michele

• Natalie February 15, 2021 / 10:45 am

Hi Michele, I can see how you love beavers. They are smart and hard working animals. They build beaver dams! This week’s Coffee Share is good. We have new participants and some returned from a long absence. I’m reading every participant’s blog. Today (Monday) is a holiday here, too although it’s Family Day. Thank you for stopping by. Have a great day and great week ahead!

• msomerville2014 February 15, 2021 / 6:14 pm

That is exciting Natalie to see how it is growing. I have certainly met some new people and enjoyed reading. Going to try to read a little more yet. For a while we lived very close to the Susquehanna River and would go to a park there to fish. I loved watching the beavers. Also, fishing in small pond s in the area where there was clear evidence of the beavers’ work. Next week! Michele

• Natalie February 16, 2021 / 12:26 pm

Thank you, Valheru, for your visit and comment. A sweet or savoury snack and fresh flowers are good for the soul.

7. Chicken Librarian February 16, 2021 / 8:28 am

The roses! Oh my! I had no idea that there were so many varieties nor that they were grown in Ecuador. They’re so stunning! And perfectly packed.

• Natalie February 16, 2021 / 9:51 am

Thank you for your visit and comment. Yes, the roses in Ecuador were incredible. Do you have a blog? I went to the site attached to your profile and got a message that the blog has been deleted.

• Kristin February 18, 2021 / 7:30 pm

Hi Natalie! I saw your comment on my blog. I don’t know why it says it’s been deleted. I think it might be because I’m logged in under WordPress.com. Or I typed my web address in wrong! I’ll check into it. Thanks for asking! You are so sweet to visit my blog. I look forward to joining in on the weekend coffee share. It sounds fun!

• Natalie February 18, 2021 / 9:15 pm

Hi Kristin, Glad your blog was not deleted. I look forward to seeing you at my Weekend Coffee Share link-up.

8. Cathy W February 16, 2021 / 11:22 am

Beavertails!! Those sound yummy. (Thank you for explaining, too, LOL!) That’s a great plaque for the history of the building. I love running across info like that. And those roses? Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing – they made me smile.

• Natalie February 16, 2021 / 12:08 pm

Thank you, Cathy, for your visit and comment. I’m glad my post and photos made you smile. I host the weekly Weekend Coffee Share. Details are on the Blog Links tab at the top of my blog. I hope you consider joining. Have a great week!

9. Julie February 17, 2021 / 12:56 am

Those are gorgeous long stemmed roses!

• Natalie February 17, 2021 / 8:39 am

Julie, Yes, they are. Hope you had a lovely Valentine’s weekend!

10. Deborah February 17, 2021 / 12:59 am

Okay so when you said beavertail I was like, “No, no, no and no!” so relieved to find out it wasn’t actually a beaver’s tail!

And such beautiful roses. Tulips are my favourite flower but they’re not available all year round and of course I rarely buy myself flowers anyway. Though I should do so more often.

• Natalie February 17, 2021 / 8:52 am

Deb, Haha, where’s the fun if I say “pastry” instead of “beavertail”? I like tulips a lot, too. In May, we have a Tulip Festival in Ottawa with about 300 thousands tulips on display. The tulip bulbs are Royal gift from the Dutch to Canadians.

11. Denyse Whelan Blogs February 17, 2021 / 3:00 am

Thank you so much for linking up for #lifethisweek. Next week, the optional prompt is
    8/51 Explore. 22 Feb. I hope to see you there and I wish you well for the week ahead. Denyse.

• Natalie February 20, 2021 / 7:19 pm

Thank you, Denyse. See you soon. Have a great week!

12. Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid February 22, 2021 / 6:18 pm

Loved your post on Min’s blog – so many practical and helpful tips! I was obsessed with beaver tails when I was in Toronto and the store was dangerously close to where we were staying. I have very fond memories of my first beaver tail, it was everything I imagined it to be!

• Natalie February 22, 2021 / 6:26 pm

Sammie, I think you’re the only non-Canadian blogger who had BeaverTails pastries, hooray! I’m glad you loved my guest post on Min’s blog. Thank you for stopping by. Have a great week!