Sakuras and Fleurs de Villes 2022

Hello and welcome to my blog! I’m glad you’re here. It’s week 19 in 2022 and I’m hosting Weekend Coffee Share linkup #69. Come on in for a cup of coffee or tea and let’s chat.

May is mid-spring in Toronto and beautiful flowers are in bloom everywhere. This week has been sunny with daytime high temperatures ranging from 16C to 24C (60F to 75F). I enjoyed some lovely walks and two stunning floral events: Sakuras and Fleurs de Villes.

Sakuras (Cherry Blossoms)

Sakura trees have a long history in Toronto as written here. Since Sakura peak bloom only lasts about a week, I was happy to see the beautiful and delicate flowers before they’re gone. Just walking under the trees and enjoying spring weather is a wonderful experience.

Sakura (Cherry blossoms)
Clusters of pink cherry blossoms

The easiest way to spot the difference between a cherry, plum, or peach flower is by observing the petal’s natural shape. Cherry blossoms have a unique cleft at the tip of their petals, which add to their pretty features and incredible popularity.

Cherry blossoms also have long stems that attach them to the branch from a single bud. One bud can produce more than one flower and you see whole branches of trees covered in pink, pale pink, or white.

Since April 1959 when the first 2000 Somei-yoshino sakura trees were presented to the citizens of Toronto on behalf of the citizens of Tokyo, Toronto has planted many Sakura trees in different parts of the city for its residents to enjoy every spring. I feel fortunate to see Sakuras close to home.

Fleurs de Villes 2022

The Fleurs de Villes event returned to Toronto’s Bloor-Yorkville neighbourhood from May 4 to 8, 2022. This year’s theme is Femmes to celebrate remarkable women and raise funds for breast cancer research. The trail displayed over thirty stunning fresh floral designs by incredibly talented florists.

My slideshow below includes ten pictures of the fourteen incredible floral mannequins inspired by a remarkable woman – each with a unique story, and each making a profound impact. Click on the arrows or swipe to see the images.

There are fun floral designs as well, such as a bike, a phone booth, a swing, a heart, a heart-shaped frame and Mom since the event ended on Sunday May 8th which was Mother’s Day in Canada. The fresh flowers were gorgeous to see up close and their scent was lovely.

I enjoyed my walks and all the fresh flowers that I’ve seen this week.

How has your week been?

Shared with #SpringFestival2022, #PPAC, #SundayStills, #CellpicSunday.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Copyright © 2022 natalietheexplorer.home.blog – All rights reserved.

82 thoughts on “Sakuras and Fleurs de Villes 2022

1. Alison May 13, 2022 / 8:08 am

Fabulous photos of the blossoms and the mannequins, very artistic

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 1:45 pm

Thank you, Alison. Both floral events were stunning. I’m pleased you liked my photos. Have a great weekend!

2. Antoinette Truglio Martin May 13, 2022 / 8:27 am

Our Sakura trees, cheery trees bloomed a little late and have been beaten by the big wind for over a week. My garden says it is snowing pink.

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 1:47 pm

I’m sorry to hear your cherry blossoms have been beaten by the big wind. The Sakura petals are pretty. When they fall, they look like confetti.

3. leannelc May 13, 2022 / 8:36 am

The cherry blossoms are so delicate and beautiful Natalie, and those flower arrangements were lovely too – it must have been a real joy to walk around and also to smell them at the same time.

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 1:51 pm

Hi Leanne, I enjoyed both floral events. They were beautiful. The floral scents were soft, too, nothing overwhelming.

4. Ally Bean May 13, 2022 / 8:56 am

I like the Buffy Sainte-Marie mannequin. Tres chic. Lovely to see photos of cherry blossoms. Was it wonderful to walk among them, smell the scent?

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 1:55 pm

It was a wonderful sensory treat, Ally. The scent was nice and gentle. I was fortunate to see cherry blossoms in different parks in the city. When the petals fell from the trees, they were like confetti.

5. Liesbet @ Roaming About May 13, 2022 / 11:25 am

Beautiful flower displays, Natalie. So creative and unique. I think there might be a cherry blossom tree in the neighborhood where we currently are staying for a couple of weeks. Based on your info about the petals, I will confirm this – or not – on our next walk with Maya.

I’m glad you had lovely weather this past week. We have been dealing with cold, snow, sleet, fog, and rain in the Pacific Northwest. Yikes!

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 2:00 pm

Liesbet, That’s quite a change in weather for you. I hope the tree in your neighbourhood is a cherry blossom tree and the poor weather conditions don’t destroy the flowers before you get to see them. Have a great weekend!

6. Thistles and Kiwis May 13, 2022 / 3:31 pm

Gorgeous cherry blossom and I love those floral displays. As ever, a lovely post to read with ny Saturday breakfast!

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 5:43 pm

I’m pleased to share the gorgeous flowers with you virtually. Happy weekend!

7. larry trasciatti May 13, 2022 / 5:02 pm

I’m not knowledgeable about which flower is which but they make a fine appearance

8. Jo May 13, 2022 / 5:03 pm

Oh my goodness these are gorgeous. A little bit of beauty to look at as the rain comes down outside.

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 5:45 pm

I hope you get just the right amount of rain and then the sky clears up.

9. Sue from Women Living Well After 50 May 13, 2022 / 5:04 pm

Breathtaking Natalie! The blossoms are so beautiful and uplifting and the Fleurs de Villes is a gorgeous exhibition. I don’t really have words to adequately describe. Thanks for sharing with us and you’ve brightened my morning. Enjoy your week! #weekendcoffeeshare

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 5:47 pm

Sue, I’m pleased to brighten your morning. These two floral events were stunning to see IRL. Have a wonderful weekend!

10. Lydia C. Lee May 13, 2022 / 5:29 pm

Your Spring has sprung! Beautiful and so joyful! I love the flower display photos!

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 5:49 pm

Glad you loved the flower displays. The florists did a fantastic job.

11. Janis @ RetirementallyChallenged.com May 13, 2022 / 6:05 pm

Oh my, Natalie… this post was a feast for the eyes. The cherry blossoms are gorgeous and those mannequins are true works of art! Thank you for sharing all of that beauty.

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 6:43 pm

You’re welcome, Janis. I’m pleased you like my post and photos. These two events were stunning to see IRL. If there is ever a Fleurs de Villes event in your city, I highly recommend to go and see it.

12. Debbie May 13, 2022 / 6:36 pm

Oh I love the floral mannequins Natalie – lovely photos of spring’s arrival!

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 7:05 pm

Hi Debbie, The florists did a fantastic job with their floral designs on the mannequins. I’m pleased you love them.

13. Marsha May 13, 2022 / 8:05 pm

These flower women are fabulous. Elizabeth Taylor, Princess Di, and Sophia Loren are my favorites, but they are all amazing. The cherry blossoms are exquisite. Thanks for this beautiful post.

• Natalie May 13, 2022 / 8:08 pm

You’re welcome, Marsha. I’m glad you like my post. I thought Sophia Loren with her Vespa and Jane Austen sitting up high had all the fun 🙂 Princess Diana mannequin was full of fresh orchids, just exquisite to see IRL.

14. Tessa May 13, 2022 / 9:05 pm

I love cherry blossoms and also dogwood trees. They don’t last long though. Plus they make a mess when they die and fall off the trees.

• Natalie May 14, 2022 / 8:29 am

We also have dogwood trees here. I view the fallen flowers as organic compost.

15. restlessjo May 14, 2022 / 1:52 am

Just the most glorious time of year, Natalie! Fabulouus photos. Have a great weekend!

• Natalie May 14, 2022 / 8:32 am

Jo, May has been a beautiful month here. I’ll share this post with your upcoming Monday Walk when you post it. Have a great weekend!

16. Maria May 14, 2022 / 2:37 am

The cherry blossoms are very pretty! This is such a beautiful time of the year. Have a wonderful weekend Natalie!

• Natalie May 14, 2022 / 8:37 am

Maria, I agree this is a beautiful time of the year. Happy weekend to you, too.

17. Moumita De Sarkar May 14, 2022 / 5:36 am

It’s amazing how you come with something beautiful to show us from your walks or cycling trips every week. Toronto looks so nice through your pictures:)

• Natalie May 14, 2022 / 8:43 am

Thank you Moumita for your kind comments. Toronto is a big city with layers of beauty. I barely scratch the surface. I’m pleased you like Toronto through my pictures. Have a great weekend!

• Bernie May 16, 2022 / 12:56 am

The trees are awesome but those floral creations are over the top! Wow. Who dreams up these things!

• Natalie May 16, 2022 / 8:44 am

Those floral creations are incredible to see IRL. This was my 3rd time attending a Fleurs de Villes event. I highly recommend it. There is no admission fee.

18. Astrid May 14, 2022 / 7:10 am

Thanks for sharing these little factoids about cherry blossoms and specifically about Toronto’s sakura trees.

• Natalie May 14, 2022 / 8:47 am

You’re welcome, Astrid. I thought I’d mention them as not many people knows about Toronto and Tokyo Sakura connections, and how to differentiate cherry blossom from plum or peach blossom.

19. trentpmcd May 14, 2022 / 10:19 am

Cherry blossoms are gorgeous, and it looks like you are having a glorious year with them this year. The flowers for the festival all look great as well. have a good weekend and a wonderful week ahead 🙂

• Natalie May 14, 2022 / 1:55 pm

Thank you Trent for stopping by. Both floral events were amazing. Have a great weekend!

20. Jackie May 14, 2022 / 1:13 pm

Darn! I missed the Fleurs de Villes this year!

• Natalie May 14, 2022 / 1:53 pm

The upcoming FdV event is on May 20-29 in Montreal Complexe Desjardins if you plan to be in Montreal.

21. Kirstin May 14, 2022 / 1:58 pm

These are beautiful Natalie. I didn’t know the difference between the different trees.

• Natalie May 14, 2022 / 5:08 pm

Kirstin, I’m pleased you like my pictures. Glad to share tidbits about the different trees with you.

22. Writing Sparkle May 14, 2022 / 2:07 pm

Those pink cherry blossoms are so pretty. It is nice to be entering the time of year where flowers surround us. You Ontario folks are a bit ahead of us in northern Alberta for weather and flowers.
    Thanks for the virtual coffee Natalie.

• Natalie May 14, 2022 / 5:12 pm

Thank you Shari for stopping by. Southern Ontario has had a beautiful, sunny and warm week so the trees and flowers are blooming at high speed. I hope the nice weather arrives soon for you.

23. Retirement Reflections May 14, 2022 / 2:13 pm

Hi, Natalie – I love Sakura trees and wish that their beautiful blossoms lasted longer. I’m jealous of your warm and sunny spring temperatures. Our spring weather this year ha been consistently cold and wet. Yesterday it even hailed! Sigh!

• Natalie May 14, 2022 / 5:37 pm

Wow, Donna, seems unusual that it hailed in VI in mid-May. I hope the nice weather arrives soon in your area and you get beautiful weather for your camino in PEI.

24. rawsonjl May 14, 2022 / 4:57 pm

What beautiful flowers and floral sculptures. I love the Sakura trees and Princess Diana is my favorite mannequin; probably because of all those white and pink tones that do remind me of cherry trees and spring.

• Natalie May 14, 2022 / 5:40 pm

Yes, the Princess Diana mannequin was dressed up in fresh orchids. It looked beautiful outdoors in the sunshine.

25. Inspiring Max May 15, 2022 / 1:43 am

I love Sakura trees. my son got married in Japan just as the trees were dying so seeing them always reminds me of that special day.

• Natalie May 15, 2022 / 9:28 am

What special memories you have with Sakura trees! I love Japan.

26. Terri Webster Schrandt May 15, 2022 / 10:09 am

I love all your flowers and I bet they smell fresh and aromatic, Natalie! The Fleur de Villes event looks spectacular–must be time-consuming to put all those flowers into the various patterns. We drove to the south part of Spokane yesterday afternoon for a family event and were amazed that spring is finally in full force here. Lots of cherry trees, dogwoods and the spring green new growth. I am so happy to hop into your coffee share as well.

• Natalie May 15, 2022 / 2:28 pm

Terri, The cherry blossoms and the Fleurs de Villes event were both beautiful and aromatic. The scent was soft and gentle, too. The florists did an amazing job with the fresh flower arrangements and they kept them fresh for five days in the sun or indoors. In Toronto, we’ve had a full week of sunshine and above normal temperatures which accelerated plant growths. The green leaves and blooms seem to appear overnight at an astonishing speed. Thank you for linking up with #weekend coffee share. Have a wonderful week ahead!

27. photobyjohnbo May 15, 2022 / 10:30 am

Thanks for sharing on my Cellpic Sunday Challenge, Natalie. I would love to visit Toronto at the right time to see the cherry blossoms. Timing is everything. On more than one trip to D.C., I’ve missed them either too early or too late. 🙂

• Natalie May 15, 2022 / 2:31 pm

Thank you John for hosting Cellpic Sunday. Cherry blossoms usually happen in late April or early May. We even have Blossom Watch to monitor the stages of the blooms. I hope you get to see them IRL in the future. Have a wonderful week ahead!

• Natalie May 15, 2022 / 5:19 pm

They were stunning at peak bloom.

28. csuhpat1 May 15, 2022 / 7:50 pm

Wow, so very beautiful and colorful. So love it. thanks for sharing all the beauty with us.

• Natalie May 15, 2022 / 9:46 pm

Thank you for stopping by Patrick. Have a great week ahead!

29. Diana May 15, 2022 / 11:46 pm

Oh Natalie, I am in flower heaven with your post!! The Cherry blossom trees are truly AMAZING!!! I LOVED all your photos too. The flower mannequins are beautiful and artsy, so creative and so many pretty, pretty flowers!!! I can see that maybe Toronto is a place to visit in the Spring! I hope you have a wonderful week ahead and thank you so much for hosting #weekendcoffeeshare! ❤

• Natalie May 16, 2022 / 8:51 am

Hi Diana, I’m pleased you love my photos 🙂 I feel fortunate to see cherry blossoms every spring without having to go to Japan. Now in May we move on to tulips (gifts from the Netherlands) and they’re so beautiful, too. Spring and Fall are good months to visit Toronto. The temperatures are comfortable and plants display their best blooms and colours. Have a great week ahead! I’m off to to read your blog shortly.

30. Dawn Palmer May 17, 2022 / 8:40 pm

Beautiful photos! Lovely flowers! The cherry blossoms don’t look much different from the apple blossoms–this is a great time of year!

• Natalie May 17, 2022 / 9:39 pm

Thank you, Dawn, for your comments. Spring has been bringing so many beautiful blooms. Have a great week!

31. JT Twissel May 18, 2022 / 7:19 pm

I want to walk where you’ve been walking! Lovely floral arrangements and what an explosion of pink!

• Natalie May 18, 2022 / 7:24 pm

The cherry blossoms at peak bloom were stunning. May brings lilacs, tulips, and more flowers this week.