Nordic Lights: 6 Dazzling Displays

Hello and welcome to Weekend Coffee Share #56! I’m glad you’re here. Please come on in, help yourself to a cup of coffee, or tea, or hot chocolate at my coffee station and let’s chat.

Week 6/ 52 – Two Announcements

First, I’ve created the Weekend Coffee Share badge for 2022 and added it to the sidebar of my blog. Weekend Coffee Share participants and supporters are welcome to display this badge on their blog.

2022 Weekend Coffee Share badge
2022 Weekend Coffee Share badge

Second, Dan Antion, the blogger behind No Facilities blog and the host of the Thursday Doors photography challenge, has kindly invited me to meet him virtually on Saturday February 12th at the Island View Café. Feel free to follow our lively conversation about blog challenges and more here.

Nordic Lights Festival

My family and I went out one evening to see the outdoor Nordic Lights festival at Harbourfront Centre. It was a dazzling display of Canadian and Nordic light art installations, some with accompanying sounds.

Here are the 6 light art displays with excerpts from Harbourfront Centre information boards.

1. Control No Control by Iregular Media Art Studio, Canada

Control No Control is a big LED cube that reacts to everything that touches it and every movement performed on its surface. Streamlined patterns and generative sound emerge as interaction occurs. Allowing 48 people to participate at the same time, the experience is extremely intuitive, leading to quick audience engagement and prolonged interactions.

2. Equinox by Anastasia Isachsen, Norway

Equinox by Anastasia Isachsen, Norway.

Equinox asks questions about the nature of light and darkness and about the unique moment of equinox when they are in balance. Equinox combines elements of contemporary dance, nu-jazz and graphics to invite the audience into a dynamic, poetic and contemplative experience.

3. Gorži by Outi Pieski, Finland

In Gorži, waterfalls cascade from the Power Plant building’s windows. The installation by Outi Pieski is inspired by the Sámi spiritual tradition, in which we live in a reciprocal relationship with all living entities. Gorži creates a poetic sight in which clean water flows freely. The voice of Sámi yoik singer Hildá Länsman brings out the feminine power and the spiritual meaning of water.

4. Great Minds by Aleksandra Stratimirovic, Sweden

Great Minds is a dynamic monument that praises the birth of ideas and relates to all creative people. Light work appears in the form of two monumental brains in dialogue, performing active, luminous brainstorming – the unavoidable phase of each creative process – and figuratively using light to emphasize births of unique ideas and sparkling activities of all great minds.

5. Pressure by Hans E. Madsen and Frederik D. Hougs, Denmark

Pressure is a piece consisting of a 300-metre long RGB-LED hose shaped like a doodle wrapped in the construction. Flashes of impulses whip around in the LED doodle and run towards each other while shifting colour and giving the expression of a digitally-stressed doodle.

6. Sense Light Swing by Alexander Lervik, Sweden

Sense Light Swing.

Sense Light Swing is a light fixture that is also a moving, eye-catching work of art. The shape of the fixture comes from a hanging swing for children that creates a spectacular light show as it swings back and forth on its long hanging cords.

One More…

Neon hearts are on display at Brookfield Toronto properties from November 1, 2021 to February 28, 2022. Each glowing neon light was hand made in Ontario, Canada by Our Glowing Hearts. Here’s how it all started and how to make a neon heart. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Which light art installation is your favourite?

Shared with #PPAC35.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Copyright © 2022 natalietheexplorer.home.blog – All rights reserved.

99 thoughts on “Nordic Lights: 6 Dazzling Displays

1. Jill Weatherholt February 11, 2022 / 8:05 am

These are incredible, Natalie! I love the swings! Thanks for sharing. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Liked by 2 people

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 10:57 am

The swings are quite fun, Jill. The seats are made of clear acrylic with LED lights. Happy weekend and Valentine’s Day!

2. leannelc February 11, 2022 / 8:14 am

For some reason I read ‘Northern Lights’ and expected to see the Aurora Borealis….but these were just as pretty and quite interesting to see the different interpretations of light – the interactive ones would have been fun to play with.

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 11:03 am

Leanne, It was fun to play with the big cube and the swings. These Nordic Lights are much easier to photograph than Northern Lights 🙂

3. restlessjo February 11, 2022 / 1:04 pm

The falling water is my favourite, Natalie. Wishing you a great week!

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 4:54 pm

Jo, The waterfall exhibit is quite interesting. It came with soothing music and vocal. Thank you for stopping by. Have a wonderful weekend!

4. Sue from Women Living Well After 50 February 11, 2022 / 1:34 pm

What a great display, Natalie! You always find interesting places and experiences to visit. I like the waterfalls and the hearts(for Valentine’s Day of course.) Thanks for hosting ##weekendcoffee share. This week I’m sharing a recipe for Banana Muffins using 3 ingredients. Enjoy your weekend. x

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 4:59 pm

Hi Sue, I love exploring as reflected in my blog name 🙂 I’m glad you like the waterfalls and the hearts. They’re both beautiful and meaningful. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Have a great weekend!

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 5:01 pm

Janis, The light festival adds more fun to winter. I’m looking forward to reading comments on Dan’s blog tomorrow. Happy weekend!

5. Thistles and Kiwis February 11, 2022 / 1:46 pm

I love the waterfall and of course eat swings. Another great set of outdoor exhibits!

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 5:03 pm

Barbara, The waterfall and the swings are both beautiful. The waterfalls are accompanied by soft sounds and the swing seats are made of clear acrylic with LED lights. Have a wonderful weekend!

6. Marsha February 11, 2022 / 1:56 pm

Natalie, these are all fabulous. I couldn’t pick a favorite! Love them all.

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 5:05 pm

Marsha, The festival organizers did a great job selecting these displays. I’m glad you love them all.

• Marsha February 11, 2022 / 9:46 pm

They would all be fun. The interactive box, the swing. So much fun for people. Do people take advantage of the wonderful opportunities Toronto provides for them. Someone works very hard. Thanks for bringing us all of this to enjoy vicariously. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Valentine’s Day. Any special plans?

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 10:20 pm

Yes, people do take advantage of these wonderful opportunities. I probably see more than average because I enjoy exploring and live downtown with easy access to many popular sites. I usually stay home and dine in on Valentine’s Day. How about you? Any special plans?

• Marsha February 13, 2022 / 2:32 am

I’ll update you in the post I’m still working on at almost 1:00 am. LOL.

• Natalie February 13, 2022 / 9:33 am

I hope you get to sleep in, LOL. I’m off to read your post.

7. Debbie February 11, 2022 / 2:31 pm

I think they’re all brilliant Natalie but at the moment the great minds one hits a spot for me. Also the swing one is very clever too. What a fun way of seeing the Nordic Lights :).

Thanks also for the badge, I’ll be adding that to my sidebar as asap.

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 5:08 pm

Debbie, The Great Minds art exhibit changes colours so it’s really neat to see IRL. The swings are fun to play with. Thank you in advance for adding my badge to your sidebar. Happy weekend!

8. Gary A Wilson February 11, 2022 / 3:03 pm

Hi Natalie, “Dazzling” is certainly the word for this display. The two giant neon brains were wild.

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 5:15 pm

Hi Gary, The Great Minds change colours and the brightness IRL. It’s a very interesting art installation.

9. Retirement Reflections February 11, 2022 / 3:08 pm

Awesome photos. I especially love the swings. I look forward to your discussion with Dan tomorrow!

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 5:18 pm

The swings are quite fun, Donna. The seats are clear acrylic with LED lights. I look forward to a nice conversation at Dan’s blog tomorrow, too.

10. Jennifer Jones February 11, 2022 / 3:19 pm

You and your family must have had a great night Natalia. These are all fabulous displays. It’s hard to pick a favourite but if I had to, I’d say the large cube and the swings.

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 5:20 pm

Jennifer, We had a great evening. Your picks are excellent. The giant cube and the swings are so much fun to play with.

11. Deborah Drucker February 11, 2022 / 4:06 pm

Interesting displays. I found it hard to pick too, but like Pressure and Gorzi.

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 5:22 pm

Excellent picks, Deborah. Pressure is fascinating as it changes colours and intensity. We watched it for a long time. Gorzi came with soft music and a rainbow. It’s beautiful and meaningful.

12. Lydia C. Lee February 11, 2022 / 4:58 pm

Where’s the code for the badge? Happy to add. Also we had those swings here. So fun – got some great photos of them in action!

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 5:46 pm

The badge is an image. If you could add it to your blog sidebar or post, that would be great. The swings are quite fun to play with. Glad you have them, too.

13. Ju-Lyn February 11, 2022 / 8:44 pm

The installations are so eclectic and dynamic – I love them!
    I am particularly taken by Gorži (Outi Pieski); how they used the wall, the philosophy behind the work ….
    Thank you for bringing yet another stunning art show to us.

• Natalie February 11, 2022 / 10:14 pm

Ju-Lyn, Eclectic and dynamic are great descriptions for this festival. Gorži is a beautiful and meaningful exhibit. I’m glad you enjoyed what I shared today. Have a wonderful weekend!

14. Maria February 12, 2022 / 1:48 am

These light fixtures are absolutely beautiful! And what a greta idea to create a badge for the weekend coffee share, I will add one to my sidebar for sure. Have a fabulous weekend!

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 12:40 pm

Thank you, Maria, for your support for the Weekend Coffee Share linkup. I’m glad you liked these light art installations. They’re something fun for the winter. Have a great weekend!

• Maria February 12, 2022 / 1:02 pm

Thank you! I once lived in a small city outside Gothenburg Sweden that had a lovely light art installation every year, during the whole month of October. It was absolutely marvellous, different artists competed against each other for the honor of making an installation there. Enjoy your weekend!

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 3:05 pm

Maria, That sounds amazing and what a win-win situation. The artists get to show their best creative works and the town get to see amazing light art installations for the whole month.

15. rawsonjl February 12, 2022 / 4:31 am

What a fun installation! I bet I would have loved interacting with the cube and I’m always up for a turn on the swings.

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 12:41 pm

Joanne, The cube and the swings are quite fun to play with and best of all there was no queue when we were there.

16. GP February 12, 2022 / 7:47 am

I was happy to meet you over at Dan Antion’s bar interview. Things look like fun over here.

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 12:44 pm

Welcome, GP, to my blog and thank you for your visit. I hope you find my blog interesting enough for more visits in the future. You’re welcome to join the weekly Weekend Coffee Share linkup any week.

• GP February 12, 2022 / 2:19 pm

Thank you.

17. Gwen M. Plano February 12, 2022 / 8:43 am

Beautiful and magical, Natalie! Thanks for sharing. 😊

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 12:45 pm

Welcome, Gwen, to my blog and thank you for your comment. I hope you find my blog interesting enough for more visits in the future. You’re welcome to join the weekly Weekend Coffee Share linkup any week.

18. trentpmcd February 12, 2022 / 8:45 am

Very cool! Looks like a great display. And you mentioned sounds and/or music several times – that would take these installations to an even higher level. Hope you have a great weekend and a wonderful week ahead 🙂

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 12:50 pm

Trent, Yes, I think the festival organizers did a great job selecting and presenting these art installations as wonderful sensory experiences. Have a great weekend and the week ahead!

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 12:55 pm

Cady, The waterfalls were meaningful and beautiful. Thank you for your support for the Weekend Coffee Share linkup. If you like, please use the InLinkz button at the end of my post to add your link so all participants can see your post and vice versa. I look forward to reading your Henna Hands coffee share post.

• CadyLuck Leedy February 12, 2022 / 1:04 pm

Natalie I don’t do social media, except for Word Press. Thanks though! Cady

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 3:08 pm

You’re welcome, Cady. I thought I’d mention it. I don’t do social media either, just my blog on WordPress and InLinkz for the linkup.

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 12:56 pm

Thank you, Shari, for your feedback and linking up.

19. Julie February 12, 2022 / 12:49 pm

The coffee share badge looks so cute! The lights look stunning. “Pressure” made me think of a night club!

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 12:58 pm

Thank you, Julie, for your feedback on the badge. Pressure was a cool exhibit. The light colours and brightness change. We watched it for a long time. I’m glad you like these light displays.

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 5:36 pm

They’re quite fun to see and play with. The seats are clear acrylic with LED lights.

20. Jo February 12, 2022 / 5:11 pm

I do love a good wintry light festival. I also love a fun interview & this week you brought us both.

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 5:37 pm

Jo, It’s been a good week 🙂 Hope your weekend is going well.

21. csuhpat1 February 12, 2022 / 9:51 pm

Those are all so very cool. I love the Neon Hearts. Very nice. Thanks for hosting and I hope that you have a wonderful week.

• Natalie February 12, 2022 / 9:56 pm

Thank you, Patrick, for sharing your thoughts. I’m glad you love the neon hearts. Have a great weekend!

22. sustainabilitea February 12, 2022 / 10:53 pm

Hard to decide which is the best. I think swings must be so much fun when in use and the first one the same. I’m also drawn to Pressure. As far as the Weekend Coffee Share, where do we find the topic? Sorry, but I’m a bit confused. Is this weekend’s subject lights? I may not understand the challenge, but I regularly drink tea, so we’re good there. 🙂

Have a great weekend.

janet

• Natalie February 13, 2022 / 9:21 am

Hi Janet, The swings and the cube are a lot of fun. Pressure and Great Minds change colours and brightness so they were both mesmerizing to watch.

Weekend Coffee Share topic is open; imagine what you’d share with a friend over a cuppa. Coffee or tea drinkers are welcome any week and no obligation to join every week. Participants have been sharing about their week’s highlights/ lowlights, lifestyle musings, books, food, photos, etc. I usually share a place or something I’ve discovered, books I’ve read, my monthly review, etc.

If you click on the blue InLinkz button at the end of my post, you’ll see the participants. Some bloggers prefer to pingback or leave their coffee share post URL in my Comments section. I visit and read every Weekend Coffee Share participant’s blog. I hope you consider joining in any week. Have a great weekend!

23. Kirstin February 12, 2022 / 11:30 pm

I love the badge, and how cool to meet virtually! I love all of those lights. Here in portland there is a winter light festival. I happened to see it on the news. It looked so neat, but I doubt I’ll get there to see it.

• Natalie February 13, 2022 / 9:24 am

Thank you, Kirstin, for your feedback on the badge. I don’t know how far you are from Portland so yeah, convenience and time are important when to plan an outing, especially in winter as weather is another factor.

24. Damyanti Biswas February 13, 2022 / 3:26 am

That’s a lovely badge.

And thanks for sharing these light installations–so hard to pick just one, but I love the swings!

• Natalie February 13, 2022 / 9:26 am

Welcome, Damyanti, to my blog and thank you for your comment. The swings are quite fun to play with. The seats are clear acrylic with LED lights. Have a great week ahead!

25. Antoinette Truglio Martin February 13, 2022 / 7:36 am

Amazing displays! You do find the most interesting sights a nd experiences. Thank you.

• Natalie February 13, 2022 / 9:27 am

Thank you, Antoinette, for your positive feedback. I love sharing interesting sights and experiences on my blog. Have a great weekend!

26. Ally Bean February 13, 2022 / 8:42 am

Your badge is adorable. Memorable and straight to the point. I like Gorži by Outi Pieski best. The image is unique and wonderful.

• Natalie February 13, 2022 / 9:30 am

Thank you, Ally, for sharing your thoughts on the badge. Gorži is a brilliant visual display that came with music and a meaningful message.

27. Janet Alcorn February 13, 2022 / 9:56 am

That doodle is so cool! Thanks so much for sharing these!

• Natalie February 13, 2022 / 10:18 am

The doodle light colours and brightness change frequently. It was mesmerizing to watch.

28. Maggie February 13, 2022 / 10:10 am

I was once a fairly prolific at handcoloring black and white photographs. My favorite subjects to handcolor were nighttime photos of neon. Your photos are beautifully captured.

• Natalie February 13, 2022 / 10:23 am

Maggie, Welcome to my blog and thank you for your comment. Handcolor B&W photographs? Wow! I took all my photos with my cellphone and they turned out OK for my hobby blog 🙂

29. JT Twissel February 13, 2022 / 1:47 pm

I like the sense light swing – looks very inviting! But they are all phenomenal.

• Natalie February 13, 2022 / 2:22 pm

Welcome, Jan, to my blog and thank you for your comment. The swings are fun to play with. The seats are clear acrylic with LED lights. You’re welcome to join the weekly Weekend Coffee Share any week. Happy Sunday and have a wonderful week ahead!

30. Tena Carr February 13, 2022 / 2:42 pm

Those neon lights are spectacular (and colorful). Nice badge by the way. Hope you had a great week.

• Natalie February 13, 2022 / 4:59 pm

Tena, Thank you for your positive feedback about the badge. I’m glad you like it and the neon lights. Have a great week!

31. Lizl/Liz Bennefeld February 13, 2022 / 4:52 pm

Control No Control looks to be particularly. Love the concept. Best wishes to you for the coming week!

• Natalie February 13, 2022 / 5:00 pm

Great choice, Lizl, The Control No Control cube is quite fun to play with. Have a great week ahead!

32. Diana February 13, 2022 / 11:38 pm

Hi Natalie!
    Thank you for creating the cool badge and I will try and get it on my site. I’m sometimes a little challenged with these things but I think I can figure it out. I enjoyed having coffee with you and I just love the lit swings. All the lights are so pretty! I finally posted my coffee share, I’m so late but really wanted to join in and I hope you have a wonderful week ahead! 😀

• Natalie February 14, 2022 / 8:51 am

Hi Diana, Thank you for joining us for coffee shares. I’m glad you liked the light art installations. The swings are fun to play with. The seats are made of clear acrylic with LED lights. I’m off to read your post now. Have a great week!

33. betty - NZ February 14, 2022 / 6:32 pm

That looks like such a fun display! Thanks for sharing.

• Natalie February 14, 2022 / 6:38 pm

Thank you, Betty, for joining us. I’m glad you like the art displays. Have a great week!