7 Tidbits about Chrysanthemums

As soon as November starts, the temperatures dip where I live. This means part of my regular walks is done indoor and I intentionally look for colours, the brighter the better.

One recent walk is to see the indoor Chrysanthemum Show at Toronto’s Allan Gardens. The gardeners do a fantastic job of putting on wonderful displays of a wide variety of chrysanthemums. I love the beautiful flowers and learn several fun tidbits about them.

7 Fun Tidbits about Chrysanthemums

1) Popularity: Chrysanthemum flower is one of the most popular flower in the world, 2nd place to be exact, next only to Rose.

Red chrysanthemums

2) Special Status: Chrysanthemums are the November birth flower, the 13th wedding anniversary flower, and the official flower of the city of Chicago. Japan also has a National Chrysanthemum Day, which is called the Festival of Happiness.

Pink and yellow chrysanthemums

3) Name and Location Origins: The name “chrysanthemum” is derived from the Greek words chrysos (gold) and anthemon (flower). Chrysanthemums are tropical flowers. They are native to Asia and northeastern Europe.

Basket display of chrysanthemums

4) Sizes, Shapes, Colours, and Varieties: Chrysanthemum stem can reach 5 to 15 centimeters (2 to 6 inches) in height. Flower can have 1 to 25 centimeters (0.4 to 10 inches) in diameter. Other than its traditional yellow colour, there are also other colours such as purple, lavender, pink, burgundy, bronze, white and red. There are 40 wild species of chrysanthemum and thousands of varieties created via selective breeding.

Gold and yellow chrysanthemums

5) Cultural Meanings: Chrysanthemum flowers have different meanings in different cultures. For instance, in Asia, Chrysanthemum is a symbol of friendship, luck, joy, optimism, and happiness. While in Europe, white Chrysanthemum is associated with funerals.

White chrysanthemums

6) A Good Indoor Houseplant: Chrysanthemum flowers contain a chemical called pyrethrum which is a natural bug repellent. These blooms also remove toxins from the air and are thus considered a good indoor houseplant as well.

Mums at Lena and the Swan pond

7) A Great Landscaping Plant: As a landscaping plant, the chrysanthemum makes a beautiful Fall display for the home garden. Chrysanthemums can dominate a growing area with the many varied shapes, sizes, and colors. I’m totally convinced when I see the display below.

Peacock-shaped display of chrysanthemums

I think chrysanthemums provide an outstanding climax to the season before the colds of winter arrive. I enjoy a wonderful walk to Allan Gardens. The greenery and flowers in the garden pavilions brighten my day.

How well do you know about chrysanthemums? Is any of the above tidbits new to you?

Copyright © 2019 natalietheexplorer.home.blog – All rights reserved.

31 thoughts on “7 Tidbits about Chrysanthemums

1. restlessjo November 25, 2019 / 11:33 am

Those first two ‘mums’ you feature are truly beautiful, Natalie. I especially like the paler pink. Lots grew in our garden at home and at the time I wasn’t fond of them. Funny how things change 🙂 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

• Natalie November 25, 2019 / 12:46 pm

I like those two as well Jo. How nice that you grew them in your garden at home. Thank you for sharing your walk.

2. Retirement Reflections November 25, 2019 / 1:14 pm

HI, Natalie – Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing this with us. If I had had to guess, I would have never placed Chrysanthemums as the second most popular flower. One can learn a great deal from reading blogs! 😀

• Natalie November 25, 2019 / 1:21 pm

Thank you, Donna. I’m glad you like my photos. I was surprised to learn that chrysanthemum flower is the second most popular flower in the world too. They’re well-liked in Asia where population is high.

3. Laurie November 25, 2019 / 2:48 pm

Thank you for teaching me something today, Natalie. Chrysanthemums have long been one of my favorite flowers (I like them even better than roses), but I have never heard of keeping them indoors before. I will have to give it t try!

• Natalie November 25, 2019 / 5:09 pm

Thank you, Laurie, for stopping by. The above chrysanthemums were all indoor. Some were potted but many of them were grown right in the ground inside a big pavilion. The flowers last about 4 weeks. It’s not easy to get them bloom again but they’re relative inexpensive to replace.

4. Jo November 25, 2019 / 5:05 pm

All of this is new to me – except the bug repellant bit. They always remind me of Mother’s Day & my grandfather. To this day I can recall him, a keen gardener, teaching me how to spell chrysanthemum: chrys an the mum.

• Natalie November 25, 2019 / 5:13 pm

That’s very sweet memory you have with your grandpa. I read that this flower is popular on Mother’s Day in Australia. They’re one common sign during our autumn season here, along with pumpkins.

5. Shelley November 26, 2019 / 8:17 am

Aw…yes, Chrysanthemum’s have a special place in my life (my birthday month). The sad thing is, I’ve never planted one or owned one. I’m happy to read they can be a good house plant. I need to go get one for my birthday! I’m surprised that they are a Chicago plant with the cold weather they get at this time of the year. Interesting, indeed! Thank you for the smiles today!

• Natalie November 26, 2019 / 10:09 am

Some chrysanthemum flowers for your birthday would be nice. Thank you, Shelley, for stopping by. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and birthday later this week!

• Shelley November 27, 2019 / 7:08 am

Thank you, Natalie – I can’t wait to see if our local florists have any available! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!! I’ll be back again soon to check in to see what you’ve been up to!

6. csuhpat1 November 26, 2019 / 8:27 pm

Those are so beautiful. Lovely. Thanks for pics and thanks for sharing the knowledge about them. #MLSTL

• Natalie November 26, 2019 / 9:48 pm

Thank you, Patrick, for your comment. I greatly appreciate it.

7. leannelc November 27, 2019 / 1:27 am

Beautiful photos and gorgeous colours Natalie – and also lots of info about chrysanthemums that I didn’t know before. I always associate them with Mothers Day in Australia – they are the flower of choice to give your mum (chrysantheMUM) down here.
    Thanks for linking up with us at MLSTL and I’ve shared on my SM 🙂

• Natalie November 27, 2019 / 8:23 am

Thank you, Leanne, for your comment. Yes, I read that chrysanthemum flowers are the flower of choice for Mother’s Day in Australia. I like the big blooms with lovely petals. They come in so many colours that it would be hard for me to choose.

8. Carol November 27, 2019 / 6:07 am

Interesting facts and gorgeous photos

• Natalie November 27, 2019 / 8:23 am

Thank you, Carol, for your comment. I greatly appreciate it. I’m glad you like my photos.

• Natalie November 27, 2019 / 8:27 am

Thank you, Cherie, for your visit and comment. I greatly appreciate it. I like the big mum flowers.

9. Margy November 27, 2019 / 7:14 pm

And Chrysanthemums are good for gift giving. They are usually available potted in many stores, – Margy

• Natalie November 27, 2019 / 7:30 pm

That’s true. Thank you, Margy, for your visit and comment. I greatly appreciate it.

10. betty - NZ November 27, 2019 / 7:22 pm

Wow! I didn’t know most of that about the flower, I just know they are gorgeous and I love seeing them. Thanks for sharing the awesome photos.

Your link at ‘My Corner of the World’ this week is much appreciated!

• Natalie November 27, 2019 / 7:31 pm

Thank you, Betty, for hosting and commenting. I’m glad you like my photos.

11. Min Write of the Middle November 27, 2019 / 7:26 pm

How beautiful are those flowers! And they come in some many different shapes, forms and colours! It’s funny how you say in November the temperature starts to dip for you, when it’s the complete opposite where I am. Gorgeous photos Natalie! 🙂 #TeamLovinLife

• Natalie November 27, 2019 / 7:34 pm

The Chrysanthemum show was very well done and it was free to the public. Thank you, Min, for stopping by. I’m glad you like my photos. Coming from you, a photographer, it’s a big compliment for me 🙂

12. Erica/Erika November 27, 2019 / 9:41 pm

I have mentioned to you before, Natalie, you are inspirational! You embrace life and make sure to see all the beauty around you. The colourful Chrysanthemums are part of this. The colours of the flowers really pop in your photos. Thank you for being a beautiful and bright part of my day.🙂 #MLSTL and sharing SM

• Natalie November 28, 2019 / 8:27 am

Thank you so much, Erica/ Erika, for your kind words. They brighten up my day. I try to embrace life which thankfully has been good to me. There is so much beauty around us, we just need to look. A cat has nine lives. I dream about having nine lifetimes to enjoy all there is.

13. Deborah November 28, 2019 / 8:35 pm

Okay, I need to confess here that I had no idea what chrysanthemums looked like. I mean, I think I thought they were something else! (Also I did not know how to spell them!)

These are beautiful and I love the colours!

• Natalie November 28, 2019 / 9:18 pm

Fear not my friend. There are 40 wild species of chrysanthemum and thousands of varieties created via selective breeding so you may have seen a chrysanthemum that looked different from the above. Call them mums for easier spelling 🙂 Thank you, Deborah, for stopping by. Have a nice weekend!